Friday, June 24, 2011

Deliciousness

I made a Deer Zucchini Casserole for dinner last night. It was delicious. I just made everything up, so when I was talking to my mom later and she asked for the recipe, I had to remember exactly what I did.

I'm glad I had to write it down... Now I'll have it for later use.

Here it is:

1 lb. deer meat
1 whole zucchini (I used half of a squash and half of a zucchini) chopped, I left mine kinda big
1 box penne (or whatever) pasta -- I used ronzoni smart taste
2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 can rotel diced tomatoes with jalapeños
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used onion powder because I didn't have real onion)
4 cloves garlic -- 2 smashed 2 chopped
Cheese (I used provolone slices, but that was all I had)
Fresh Basil (I have freeze dried, and just shook it out, didn't measure)
1 bay leaf
2 ish tbsp. EVOO (I have a dispenser thing and just went around the pan twice)

Dispenser thing for my EVOO

Preheat oven to 350

Put the cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes into a large frying pan. I used my big cast iron skillet. Add the 2 smashed cloves of garlic, broth, and onion and leave to simmer on low heat.

Put EVOO in another frying pan. Add chopped garlic and let simmer for 2 min. Add deer meat and cook until brown. Add zucchini and cook 5 more min.

Add meat mixture to tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer on low heat for 20 min. Stir occasionally.

After 20 min, add basil and bay leaf. Start water boiling for pasta now. After about 10 min, taste the sauce, if it's a little tart, add a little sugar. Might want to do this anyway, mine wasn't tart but I added about 2 tsp of sugar and it changed the sauce's taste...yum.

Cook the pasta 10 min (or whatever your instructions say for al dente). When that's done Remove the bay leaf and the two smashed garlic cloves from the sauce. Layer pasta, sauce, cheese. And again. Cook for 15 min.

Enjoy. ;)



I realized as we were going to bed last night, that I didn't take a single picture of my creation.



Fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment