Thursday, May 5, 2011

See Mz. Soup Run

I, obviously, have become quickly addicted to blogger-dom.

I've heard, briefly, about the Couch to 5K (C25K) program before, but don't really enjoy running that much and never considered it something that I was interested in.

Yesterday, Jenna from ThatWife posted about her C25K experience. Getting a chance to see someone who considered them self "not a runner" - like myself - document her progress, her descriptions of each month, the trials she faced... That was all really cool, interesting and actually very helpful.

But the most important thing: the results. She's shared the charting of her progress with us, and I can see first hand how much it helped her. She had nothing but good things to say about the experience...



So last night I started the program too.

We finished making dinner, and even though I wanted to lay down on the couch and take a nap (because I'm STILL exhausted all the time) I went upstairs and grabbed some workout clothes and headed to the gym with D.Soup.

C25K app

Jenna also recommended the C25K app. So I downloaded it onto my iPad (its a iPod app, so it doesn't fill the whole screen, but I was okay with that). It gives you verbal instructions each time you're supposed to switch between walking and running, and allows you to create a playlist from any music that you have on you iPod. You can also make journal entries after each run to keep track of yourself. It was pretty cool.

Week 1 Day 1:
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
Check.

It wasn't even hard. I just didn't have the motivation to talk myself into it before. Fake watchers started the motivation, now lets just hope that I have the energy to keep up with it.

I'm pretty sure I'm in need of new shoes though. I think I've had mine for about 5 years. And while they didn't get a whole lot of use in that time, I feel its time for a replacement.

D.Soup and I are going to this cool shoe place in Annapolis recommended by 2 friends of ours now... The people there watch you walk, pick out a few pairs of shoes that could be a good match, and then throw you on a treadmill and tape you while you're running to analyze your needs better. So that you get the best shoe available for your running style.

That all sounds really cool. Until you get to the part where they are going to video.tape.me.running. I don't rightly know if that's something that I want to witness, I might never run again...



Day 2:
Tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I am super excited that you are going to the cool shoe place! You will have to let me know what you think. I wasn't too keen on them taping me running either but it's not so bad. I think I might use this training program that you found. I was trying to find a better way to becoming a runner and this just might do the trick. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin was doing C25K! She loved it! Had nothing but wonderful things to say about it. She just found out she is preggers so she isn't doing it anymore, but she loved it!

    ReplyDelete